Final Analysis: The Untold Story of the Susan Polk Murder Case
With extraordinary detail, Crier dissects this dangerous relationship between husband and wife, exposing their psychological motivations and the painful impact that these motivations had on their sons, Adam, Eli, and Gabriel. Drawing on sources from all sides of the case, Crier masterfully reconstructs the tumultuous chronology of the Polk family, telling the story of how Susan and Felix struggled to control their rambunctious sons and their disintegrating marriage in the years and months leading up to Felix's death.
But the history of the Polk family is only half the story. Here Crier also elucidates the methodical police work of the murder investigation, revealing never-before-seen photos and writings from the case file. In addition, she carefully scrutinizes the many twists and turns of the remarkable trial, exploring Susan's struggles with her defense attorneys and her shocking decision to represent herself.
Dark, psychological, and terrifying, Final Analysis is a harrowing look at the recesses of the human mind and the trauma that reveals them.
Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
Catherine Crier has been covering the Peterson case since Laci Peterson disappeared from her home on December 24, 2002. Crier, a former judge and one of television's most popular legal analysts, was among the first to question the behavior of Laci's husband, Scott Peterson. And with her network of journalistic sources, Crier was soon able to penetrate the core of the police investigation that followed -- gaining access to a huge and revealing body of previously unseen police reports, transcripts of recorded conversations, photographic evidence, and other exclusive materials. Drawing on these resources -- and extensive interviews with key witnesses and lead investigators -- Crier has written this astonishingly detailed and intimate look at the most notorious murder case since O. J. Simpson.
Among the revelations in A Deadly Game:
- Dozens of actual conversations involving Scott, Amber Frey, the police, and his family, friends, and others -- filled with Scott's chilling and incriminating behavior
- The most complete account ever of Scott's lies and manipulation -- in the words of those who knew him best
- Accounts of Scott's womanizing from his conquests themselves -- including the woman he was dating just before Laci, and two of his mistresses before Amber
- How Laci's mother confronted Scott with furious accusations -- while his own mother privately urged him to "deny, deny, deny"
- How swift police work may have saved the case in the first twenty-four hours
- The untold story of how Amber maintained contact with Scott without informing police, and was briefly considered a suspect
- How Scott bragged to two different witnesses about how to kill someone
- Many never-before-seen police photos, documents, and evidence files
Thoroughly engrossing yet highly disturbing, A Deadly Game is the definitive account of a murder that left an indelible stain on the American psyche.
Contempt: How the Right is Wronging American Justice
You can't play politics with people's lives.
America's federal courts have an enormous impact on the daily lives of Americans. They also make up the last relatively independent branch of government. But, there is a committed and well-organized confederation of ultra-conservative politicians, reactionary interest groups, and fundamentalist religious sects working to change that once and for all. And they are succeeding.
They have a plan. They have money. And they have millions of "believers."
A majority of Americans strongly oppose the dogmatic agenda of this extreme right-wing onslaught, but that majority has remained silent.
Someday, you and your family may wake up in a very different country, a country re-made in their intolerant image, a nation governed by their inflexible laws.